Wednesday, 3 February 2016

5 lessons that I learned while daytrading


I have been day trading for last 3 to 4 years; first started as part-time and now a full time.  While day trading, I not only learned the day trading but also a lot about the life overall.

Here is what I learned.

1) It does not matter if a trade(or a day) is good or bad:  I was very miserable during the initial phase once I started day trading. I just focused on trading.  I stopped focusing on being a good husband, a good father, a good anything. I had nightmares. I lost sleep. I prayed almost everyday, God, please make the markets go in my direction today. But nobody answered my prayers.  Then I slowly started realizing good and bad days are bound to happen. Day trading will be the best job in the world on the days I make money and worst job in the world on a bad day. I have no control over it.  Deal it the way it comes.  Ultimately life is about a million little moments that add up to all the things around me.  I cannot let one of those moments have too much control. 
http://blogs.psychcentral.com/wellness/files/2011/08/Learn-How-to-Say-No_full_article_vertical.jpg

2) Say "no": If my trade is not working out, even if my heart wants it to work out, I have to say "no" and cut my losses.  I need to decide every moment if this is the situation I want to be in.  If it is not working out, don't need to put more time and energy into it. We think it is going to work because we have already put time and energy (or money) into it.  But this is just a mental bias. Simply say no to it. 

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/83361/calculated_risk_pic.png?t=1449680983023

3) Taking calculated risk:  There are people who take too many risks and go bankrupt and sometimes people are too cautious and don't take enough risks. When I first started day trading, I was so afraid of risk that if I had a small profit, I would end the trade. In short I was afraid of taking the risk.  One fine day it made me realize I can take a risk without any hesitation if  I have a better way to deal with that risk and reduce that risk.  Once I have a method of dealing with the risk and reducing the risk, it is easier to make trades or decisions about anything.

I learned there are only four probabilities in trading once the trade is taken.  It can turn into a i) big loss. ii) small loss. iii) big profit. or iv) small profit. Now I just need to eliminate the big loss as much as possible to remain profitable. Once I do that, small profit will take care of small loss, and I will be left with big profit. This way I developed the right mindset to deal with the risk and take calculated risk.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mah935KYLM1qglm58.jpg

4) Hoping for something is not going to work: Hoping is not a bad thing. I hope that every day my life goes perfectly.  But if hoping is the only thing I am relying on, then it means I didn’t really look at all the possible outcomes of something that was important to me. For instance, if I plan my daughter's wedding outside and I don't have a backup plan in case it rains, then I probably mis-planned the wedding. If I get to the point where I hope I don't get ruined then I probably did something wrong beforehand.
I hope every time I take the trade that it earns me profit, but I just cannot rely on that.  If it turns out to be a bad trade, I have to accept it and be ready to execute the exit plan.

https://tifwe.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Economic-Uncertainty.jpg

5) Dealing with uncertainty: Uncertainty is not my enemy. It is going to be there and we don't need to worry about it.  I just need to do my work and make sure the uncertainty does not hurt me. That is it.


16 comments:

  1. Hi Daveji,

    Nice post. Please keep sharing your ideas and learnings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good thoughts... thanks for sharing ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post Dave sir.
    Please keep on writing non technical stuff like this too, whenever you get time.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI URD,

    Nice thoughts, great to learn from your experiences, keep posting such good posts it helps.

    To ask something on the personal front you are a FTT now, so that means no day job? so have you some alternative cash flow as well apart from trading and related activities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shub

      Now I rely totally on trading for the income mostly as a FTT. I have just kept aside a fund for my monthly household expenses and I expect it to last at least next 2 years. So even if I do not generate any trading income I will be able to survive for 11/2 to 2 years. This is the only backup plan.

      URD

      Delete
  5. Hi URD.
    Are u full time trader now? from when?

    I like yours personal thoughts posts here... God bless you... keep posting... Knowledge sharing great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunil

      Just few weeks back. Will try to post as time permits.

      URD

      Delete
  6. Well Put Uday, What you wrote is simple but it requires lot of Deep thinking to make it this simple. Some thing to learn from you. As always thanks for sharing your outlook.

    -Shashank

    ReplyDelete
  7. Worth reading, Trading is nothing but just another aspect of life where you have to understand the situation, analyze it and take decisions instantly and move on.

    In some cases, the decision you took may prove to be correct, but in some it may not. But, we need to move on, gaining experience on the way and sharpening our decision-making skills.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to interact with another full time trades...thanks for your words...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to know , victorious trader like you have also journeyed the same road which I am going through. It gives me assurance that I am on the right path.
    Thanks for the post, it reminds me of ST sir when he use to post Rant n Raves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arvind Kumar

      We all travel through the same bumpy road. We just need to hang on to it and never give up.
      Wish ST sir come back soon. Ture, his Rant n Raves posts are missed a lot.

      URD

      Delete
  10. Dear Daveji

    Excellent.

    Thanks & Regards

    Veer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Uday for the nice article - have learned a lot from you and ST. Best of luck.

    rb

    ReplyDelete